Friday, December 31, 2010

Arch of the Centuries > University of Santo Tomas (Manila)

The Arch of the Centuries was the main entrance of the University of Santo Tomas (UST) in Intramuros. When UST transferred to its present location in Sampaloc, the arch was transferred as well. It was declared by the National Museum as a National Cultural Treasure under the listing Main Building, Central Seminary, Arch of the Centuries and Open Spaces of the University of Sto. Tomas.

Mayoyao Rice Terraces (Mayoyao, Ifugao)

The Mayoyao Rice Terraces are inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List under Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras.

Hungduan Rice Terraces (Hungduan, Ifugao)

The Hungduan Rice Terraces are inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List under Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras. The Hapao and Baang Rice Terraces, just above Hapao village, are three valleys of extensive stone-walled terraces carved into mountainside.

Bacung Rice Terraces (Hungduan, Ifugao)

The Bacung Rice Terraces are inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List as part of the Hungduan Rice Terraces cluster of the Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras. Bacung, known as the spider web terraces, is about a kilometer from Hungduan proper.

Bangaan Rice Terraces (Banaue, Ifugao)

The Bangaan Rice Terraces in Banaue, Ifugao are inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List under Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras.

Batad Rice Terraces (Banaue, Ifugao)

The Batad Rice Terraces in Banaue, Ifugao are inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List under Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Batangas Provincial Capitol (Batangas, Batangas)

Hizon-Singian House (San Fernando, Pampanga)

The Hizon-Singian House (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario) was built in 1870 by the couple Don Anacleto Hizon, gobernadorcillo of San Fernando from 1877-1879 and 1886-1887, and Victoria Singian de Miranda y de Ocampo. Inherited by their daughter Victoria Hizon y Singian who was married to Godofredo Rodriguez y Yabut from Bacolor. It was occupied during the 1896 revolution by Spanish General Antonio Ruiz Serralde, appropriated by the Japanese Imperial Army to serve as a military hospital and barracks from 1943 to 1944, and served as headquarters of American General Walter Krueger of the 6th American Army during the liberation period until the end of 1945. Inherited by their son, the late Gerry Catalino Rodriguez Y Hizon, former president of the Pampanga Sugar Development Company (PASUDECO), who was married to Aurora Angeles.

This bahay na bato of the Spanish colonial period was declared a Heritage House by the National Historical Institute on 27 January 2003 by virtue of Resolution No. 4, S. 2003.

Santos-Hizon House (San Fernando, Pampanga)

The Santos-Hizon House (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario) is a turn-of-the-century Victorian-style house was built by the couple Teodoro Santos and Africa Ventura, it was later purchased by Maria Salome Hizon, a volunteer of the Red Cross during the Philippine Revolution. The property was acquired by her brother Ramon Hizon and is currently owned by the heirs of his son Augusto Hizon.

Hizon-Ocampo House (San Fernando, Pampanga)

The Hizon-Ocampo House (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario) was the first residence of Anacleto Hizon and Victoria Singian de Miranda, it has inherited by their daughter Leoncia Hizon who was married to Basilio Ocampo, gobernadorcillo of San Fernando. Among their children was renowned architect Fernando H. Ocampo.

Consunji House (San Fernando, Pampanga)

The Consunji House (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario) was the residence of Don Antonio Consunji y Espina, the presidente municipal of San Fernando during the Philippine Revolution.

Pampanga Provincial Capitol (San Fernando, Pampanga)

The Pampanga Provincial Capitol (Capitol Boulevard, Barangay Santo Niño) is the seat of government of the Province of Pampanga, the original building was constructed shortly after the provincial capital of Pampanga was transferred from Bacolor to San Fernando in 1904. Annexes were added before the war. It was the site of a major battle between guerilla forces and the Japanese Imperial Army during World War II.

San Fernando Train Station (San Fernando, Pampanga)

The San Fernando Train Station (Barangay Santo Niño) was inaugurated by Governor-General Eulogio Despujol and Bernardino Nozaleda, Archbishop of Manila, on February 23, 1892. Jose P. Rizal debarked from the station on June 27, 1892 and again the next day en route to Bacolor. During the Death March in April 1942, it was the ending point of the 102-km Bataan Death March, from which Filipino and American prisoners-of-war were carted to Capas, Tarlac en route to their final destination, Camp O’Donnell.

Gen. Maximino Hizon Monument > Pampanga Provincial Capitol (San Fernando, Pampanga)

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Bonifacio Trial House (Maragondon, Cavite)

The Bonifacio Trial House in Maragondon, Cavite is a National Historical Landmark. The house was built for Teodorico Reyes in 1889. In May 1897, Andres Bonifacio, together with his brother Procopio, were tried by a court-martial headed by Brigadier General Mariano Noriel. For more on Cavite, read Around historic Cavite.

Kawit Church (Kawit, Cavite)

The Santa Maria Magdalena Church in Kawit, Cavite was placed under the care of the Jesuits in 1624. The first church made of wood was constructed in 1638 with the help of six families from Silang and Maragondon. The cornerstone of the current church was laid on 1737. In 1768, control of the Kawit Church was transferred to secular priests, and later to the Augustinian Recollects in 1849. It was in this church that President Emilio F. Aguinaldo was baptized in 1869. For more on Cavite, read Around historic Cavite.

Friday, September 03, 2010

General Trias Church (Gen. Trias, Cavite)

The Church of San Francisco de Malabon in Gen. Trias, Cavite began as a chapel made of light materials was constructed by Franciscan missionaries in 1611 when it was still a visita of Kawit. It was transferred to the Jesuit mission of Cavite Puerto in 1624 and became an independent parish on September 9, 1753. A stone church was constructed in 1769 under the leadership of Dona Maria Josepha de Yrizzari y Ursula, Condesa de Lizarraga. It was in this church that the Banda Matanda practiced the Marcha Filipina before it was played at the declaration of Philippine Independence in Kawit, Cavite on June 12, 1898. For more on Cavite, read Around historic Cavite.

Cuenca House (Bacoor, Cavite)

It was in the residence of Juan Cuenca and Candida Chaves in Bacoor, Cavite that President Emilio Aguinaldo transferred the seat of the revolutionary government on July 15, 1898 from the town of Cavite, as they closed in on the Spanish Army in Manila. The government remained in the house until it transferred to Malolos on September 10, 1898. For more on Cavite, read Around historic Cavite.

Cagsawa Ruins (Daraga, Albay)

The ruins of the Cagsawa Church are located in Daraga, Albay.

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Mirador Jesuit Villa (Baguio City)

Mirador in Baguio City, had four stages in its life; it began as a branch of the Manila Observatory, then became a villa house where Jesuits of the Ateneo de Manila took a break during the hot summers. When the Communists expelled the Jesuits in China, it became a house of studies for the Jesuit of the Far East Province (1952-67). Beginning in 1967, the house was opened for retreats and as a meeting center for Church groups.

Although the present house designed by Architect Gines Rivera dates to 1952, the house is the third residence built by the Jesuits in Baguio. The history of Mirador begins in 1876, when Don Manuel Scheidnagel, governor politico-militar of Baguio named the hill El Mirador, meaning lookout or vantage point, because the hill offered a panorama of Lingayen Gulf, La Union and the South China Sea. In 1890, Fr. Miguel Roces, Rector of the Ateneo Municipal de Manila suggested acquiring a piece of property in the Province of Benguet to build a sanatorium for Jesuits. The belief then was that the temperate climate of the mountains could restore the strength and health of Jesuits zapped by the humidity and heat of Manila and the lowlands. In 1894, a request was made to purchase El Mirador but the request was not acted on immediately and the Philippine Revolution caught the Jesuits in the middle of this turbulent time.

In 1900, under the Americans, the Jesuits were able to establish a meteorological and seismic station at Mirador. In 1906, the Jesuits bought Mirador at public auction conducted under the auspices of the Philippine Commission in May of that year. The following year, 1907, the Jesuits build the first of three residences at Baguio. This three-bedroom house of pine boards and cogon roof was built as a staging point for the construction of a more permanent structure of stone and mortar. From 18 March to 5 June, several Fathers took their vacation in this house and also began administering the sacraments in Baguio and La Trinidad. The year 1907 is marked as the official beginning of Mirador as a Jesuit house.

In 1908, the Jesuits built a road to the summit of Mirador, and on it constructed a building of stone and mortar. During the summer of that year a large contingent from Manila spent their time enjoying the coolness of Baguio.

The Lourdes Grotto, a very familiar and much photographed spot, was constructed in 1913 at the initiative of Fr. José Algue, S.J., the director of the Manila Observatory. Five years later, the stairway from the grotto to the foot of the hills was completed.

During the War (1941-44), the Jesuits were forced to abandon their house because Japanese soldiers occupied it. In 1945, the house was completely destroyed during the retaking of Baguio by Allied Forces decided to relocate in Baguio. Meanwhile, the mission superior, Fr. Leo Cullum, S.J. decides to rebuild the villa and improve the Observatory’s plant. He designated MIT graduate, Gines Rivera, as the master planner. Rivera planned three parallel wings, attached by a corridor. He opted to build using pinewood and galvanized iron sheets because a stone building was too damp, especially during the rainy season that lasted for more than half a year. He left the summit of the hill free to allow residents of the villa an open space for exercise and sports. In 1952, the Manila Observatory decided to relocate its whole operation from Manila to Baguio. At this time, the Ateneo had decided to leave its premises in Intramuros and Malate and transfer to Quezon City. This decision must have precipitated the Observatory’s decision to relocate. The Observatory remained in Mirador in 1962, when it transferred yet again to the Ateneo campus in Loyola Heights Quezon City.

Heritage Features: Gines Rivera designed the villa house following the type of construction used by the colonial government for houses in Camp John Hay, Teachers’ Camp and the summer homes of the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal justices. This is a house raised on stilts, away from the damp earth of Baguio. Structural beams and posts, floor boards and walls are all of wood, usually pinewood. The exterior may be covered by galvanized iron sheets, especially where the wood would be exposed to the elements. The houses were generally whitewashed but had a deep green roof and deep green window and door trim.

Mirador Villa has three fireplaces faced with pinewood and rough limestone, quarried from the present site of City Camp. Its chapel all of wood was decorated by a Jesuit brother from Hungary, who inlaid designs on the pews, pedestals and altar of the chapel.

The Grotto, which has been an integral adjunct of the villa, was built in slow stages by Jesuit scholastics (seminarians), brothers and fathers over five years, usually during the summer when Jesuits from the lowland would augment the community’s population. The image of Our Lady of Lourdes is of polychromed molave. It was carved by Isabelo Tampingco, whose name is inscribed at the back of the statue. The inscription behind reads “I. Tampingco Manila 1913.” (Fr. Rene Javellana, SJ)

Dominican Hill (Baguio City)

Originally constructed as a vacation house for the Dominicans from 1913 to 1915, Dominican Hill in Baguio City served various purposes. A school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but closed two years later. It reverted to being a vacation house for the Dominicans.

During WWII, Dominican Hill suffered extensive damages. Reconstruction was done in 1947. Diplomat Hotel acquired ownership in 1973 and converted it into a 33-bedroom hotel that closed in 1987.

Roxas Hall > Teachers' Camp (Baguio City)

Read more on Teachers' Camp.

Teachers' Camp (Baguio City)

Teachers Camp, founded in 1908 by the US colonial government as a mountain retreat for the first group of American teachers, the Thomasites, needing a respite from lowland tropical heat, has a unique heritage. Since its early Thomasite days, generations of Filipino teachers and students have gone to Teachers Camp for educational training, conferences and seminars.

It is a place intrinsic to the history of the Department of Education and has become part of the educational ethos of many Filipinos. It is a nationally recognized teaching facility, also one of the nationally recognized Baguio City icons along with Session Road, Burnham Park, Mansion House, Wright Park and Camp John Hay. It is the last of the large, open, undeveloped parcels of government-owned land remaining in Baguio. The other large parcel, Camp John Hay, is now privatized as a mixed-use real-estate development.

Founded as a rest and recreation facility for teachers and also as a venue for summer training programs for teachers, education is the primary legacy of Teachers Camp. Its secondary legacy is that it is one of the few surviving Baguio environments today, a wide-open area still relatively forested with pine trees and landscaped in the typical but vanishing flowered Baguio garden style, where original green-and-white wooden architecture, once a Baguio City hallmark, still survives. (Augusto F. Villalon)

Baler Church (Baler, Aurora)

The Baler Church in Baler, Aurora is a National Historical Landmark.

Emilio Aguinaldo Shrine (Kawit, Cavite)

The Emilio Aguinaldo Shrine in Kawit, Cavite, the site of the declaration of Philippine independence, is declared a National Shrine.

Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery (Nagcarlan, Laguna)

The Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery in Nagcarlan, Laguna is a National Historical Landmark.

According to the National Historical Commission of the Philippines, "The Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery Historical Landmark is a fine example of Spanish colonial architecture. Built by the Franciscan Friar Vicente Velloc in 1845, its octagonal grounds are enclosed by a wall decorated with wrought-iron grills and stonework meant to look like drapery.

"An arched gate leads to the chapel built into the cemetery's inner wall. Wings radiate from the sides of the chapel, forming an arc where the aboveground niches are found.

"Under the chapel, two flights down, is the crypt. This underground section of the cemetery played an important role in our history. Throughout the Revolution of 1896 and the Filipino-American War, our fighting patriots used the crypt as a secret hideout, gathering here to plan their moves or to seek shelter. Similarly, it became a safehouse for guerillas during the World War II.

"The Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery Historical Landmark is located in Nagcarlan a mountainside town of Laguna. The landmark is open for public viewing from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from Tuesday to Saturday. For inquiries please contact the NHI central office at telephone number +63 2 5249952."

Magdalena Church (Magdalena, Laguna)

The Santa Maria Magdalena Church in Magdalena, Laguna still has the blood stains of revolutionary hero Emilio Jacinto in its convento. He was mortally-wounded in battle and died in the convento.

Crisologo Street (Vigan, Ilocos Sur)

Crisologo Street is located in the Historic Center of Vigan, Ilocos Sur, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Mestizo Section of Vigan is also a National Cultural Treasure.

Paoay Church (Paoay, Ilocos Norte)

The San Agustin Church in Paoay, Ilocos Norte is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and National Cultural Treasure