Friday, April 15, 2011
The Balanga Cathedral is the seat of the Diocese of Balanga in Bataan.
"The spiritual ministration of Balanga formerly belonged to Abucay. Balanga became an independent missionary center in 1739. Rev. Benito Rivas, O.P., strengthened this church by fortifying its wall. Rev. Juan Antonio Vicente, O.P, roofed it with galvanized iron and decorated the interior. Rev. Mariano Ma. Minano, O.P., from 1838-1845 constructed the arch of the choir loft and made the baptismal font out of granite from Mariveles. The parochial ministration under the Filipino clergy started with Rev. Mariano Sarili, June 21, 1898."
"The spiritual ministration of Abucay was entrusted to the Dominicans in 1588. A fierce battle between the Dutch invaders and the Pampango defenders was fought in this court on June 23, 1647. Nearly two hundred Pampangos were put to death, and forty others, together with Spanish Alcalde mayor and two Dominican priests were taken prisoners to Batavia. The present church was badly damaged by the earthquake of 16 September 1852. One of the earliest printing press in the Philippines was operated in this town, where as early as 1610, Rev. Francisco Blancas de San Jose, O.P, and Don Tomas Pinpin printed several books in Spanish and Tagalog."
Sunday, February 06, 2011
Friday, January 14, 2011
The Historic Town of Pila, Laguna is a National Historical Landmark. Above is a photo of the old Pila Town Hall. Below is a photo of the Pila Church or the Diocesan Shrine of San Antonio de Padua.
NHI RESOLUTION NO. 2, S. 2000
DECLARING THE TOWN OF PILA IN LAGUNA AS A NATIONAL HISTORICAL LANDMARK
WHEREAS, the Constitution of the Philippines provides that The State shall promote and popularize the nation’s historical and cultural heritage and resources;
WHEREAS, Presidential Decree No. 260, dated August 1, 1973, specifically vested the National Historical Institute with the power to declare sites and structures as national historical landmarks;
WHEREAS, the town of Pila, an early pre-Hispanic center of culture and trade in Laguna, has been recognized as one of the country's more important archeological sites where clay potteries were discovered in excavations made in Pinagbayanan ni 1967;
WHEREAS, the town of Pila was honored with the name of La Noble Villa de Pila by the Spaniards because of the genteel customs, refined manners and traditions of its people;
WHEREAS, Pila is one of the few existing towns in the Philippines that preserves the Spanish colonial town planning system of the Indies, where the center of the town was the plaza complex with the surrounding church, tribunal, school and large houses;
WHEREAS, the structures of Pila reflect a rich and varied architectural history which remains relatively intact in its town center, from the Philippine-Baroque church of the Spanish period to the charming chalets of the American period;
WHEREAS, the town center of Pila is a living monument and testimony to the residents of Pila who were builders, craftsmen, artists and artisans of such elegant, historic structures;
NOW THEREFORE, the National Historical Institute by the virtue of the powers vested in it by Presidential Decree No. 260, hereby declares the historic town center of Pila in Laguna, bounded by General Luna Street in the north, M. H. del Pilar Street in the east, Mabini Street in the south, and Bonifacio Street in the west, and including the Pila Elementary School, and the Juan Fuentes and Santiago Fernandez houses as a National Historical Landmark.
APPROVED: May 17, 2000
The Historic Town of Taal, Batangas was declared a National Historical Landmark by the National Historical Institute. Within the town are several other National Historical Landmarks including the Leon Apacible Historical Landmark, Marcela Agoncillo Historical Landmark and Taal Church Historical Landmark (Taal Basilica). The Goco House is declared a Heritage House.